Thursday, August 18, 2011

What a beautiful day

I asked Bekki if she would like to write an entry about our last Byron day. She agreed, promised me to do it soon and forgot about it. It was such a great day and I really wanted to share the pictures and stories with you so I asked her again and again until she did it. And it turned out that she is a talented writer, don't you think.If she gets better with the timing I'll soon consider her as a permanent guest writer.

Wed. 20/07/2011
For our last day in Byron we planned to go up to the lighthouse to see the sun rise.
Tim always wanted to go because he had missed the chance when he was in Byron 4 years ago and the lighthouse is an absolute must do thing when you're there.
We got up really early, at 5am, to be sure we won't miss anything. It was dark and cold and not too easy to get out of bed but we hurried and drove up to Watego's beach car park from where we walked up the path to the lighthouse. It is a beautiful walk when it's light. There are many lookout places and incredible views over the ocean. We had to take out torch and didn't see much of the views but it was a clear night and we heard some big animals in the bushes next to us.
It's always this mysterious feeling you get when the sunrise is close and the night turns into day. It was quite cold and a fresh breeze blew up at the lighthouse.  We were good in time and sat close to the tower to get some wind shelter.
We weren't the only ones so early, there were around 7 more people with the same idea. It is an incredible and wide view you have from up there. That place is the most easterly point in Australia so it feels like you could see the ocean from a wider angle than 180°.
The sunrise was amazing but I won't write anything about it. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.






After we watched the sun rise the day started for us with a great surprise as we walked down the path. We stopped at one of the lookouts and were lucky to see some whales on their way from the south traveling up the coast. Tim got some good shots when two of them jumped out of the water. They where pretty far away but that makes them even more mysterious.I think in a long time I hadn't had such a good start into the day.


We also went to Broken Head and walked the track to Kings beach, which I hadn't seen before. It's one of the most beautiful beaches in Australia and we had it all for ourselves. It felt as if we've just explored a new place.
After a great week in Byron we had to say goodbye and I wonder when I'll see this place again, hopefully sooner than later.
We drove to Lennox for a very disappointing surf check and went for coffee, as always. On our way back to the farm we stopped at the place Tanja directed us to and Tim thought it could be the house he was living in but he wasn't sure; there had been some changes.
Later we stopped at Jule's place for tea and to say hello to his 2 months old daughter Harper. She is adorable. After this great day nothing could take our good mood away, not even the long drive up to cold Guyra.

Sorry about the pics... I'll update them when I have a faster internet! Sorry

1 comment:

  1. Nice entry Bekki, I miss Byron so much. I love how you drive into that town and immediately the Byron-vibe is all over you. I can recall not being able to stop smiling whenever I was there. Good times..

    ReplyDelete