Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Malaysia again

Back in Malaysia we discovered that KL has a third terminal, only for AirAsia flights, and that we didn't know how to get into town from there. It was easy to figure it out though and only took one and a half hours to get to our hostel. There we met Luci&Lorenz again, the couple from Munich whom we had met at lake Toba. To be honest it wasn't so much of a surprise because we had had some contact via email and had agreed to meet each other there. It was still funny because we arrived in KL on the same day and also all leave on the 4th. We also had mainly the same ideas about what we wanted to do in Malaysia without talking about it. We ended up sharing a 4 bed dorm to save money.
Coming back to a city you have already been to always feels weird to me. You feel confident because you're not completely lost but there's still so much new to discover although I tend to go to the places I know first. We went back to the Indian place first for lunch and started to discover new places afterwards. In the evening we met our companions and watched the new Harry Potter movie (they hadn't seen it jet). We spent some time those days to wander through malls and bazaars, imagining to be rich enough to buy a watch for 2000€ or a Mac/iPad etc. On Thursday 1/9 we took the bus to Melaka, a city south of KL with rich architectural heritage. It was a two hour bus ride in a bus at least a million times better than any bus in Sumatra, and a bit of a walk before we found a nice dorm room in the heart of china-town. We went on a sight-seeing tour that early afternoon and had a look at china-town and the old dutch, Portuguese and British buildings that are still left over from the colonial era and are protected by the UNESCO's world-heritage foundation. It looks good but isn't really that impressive than we thought. It was a cloudless day and it was really hot in the sun so we went back to our hostel to lie down a while. I also managed to get a cold from all the fans and A/C's which is really annoying and stupid. I mean... how do you manage it to get a cold in such a hot country? But I could get some rest and we set off again after dark to have a look at some more stuff before we went to a Pakistani for dinner. The food was really good, spicy but good, and we had a great evening together.
We continued our tour after a long sleep in but didn't see too much new things because we had decided to leave at 4 o'clock and I only had breakfast at about 1pm. It was another hot day which made it all very exhausting and we had to make a lot of breaks in between. The bus ride back was OK but we all were quite tired so I red the whole way and tried to sleep a bit. Our hostel offers a free dinner on the rooftop every friday night and we were lucky enough to be in time for that. It was a tasty buffet of rice and sauce combinations and really cool since we didn't have to pay for it. We decided to have a look if we found a movie we all liked which was harder than we thought and we ended up having a drink (not what it sounds like... we had tea and juice) at an Indian place. Bekki and I fell in love with the Indian food over the time we were here. We had always enjoyed the Indian cuisine before but at the moment it is almost the only food we eat. They make the best bread (naan and roti) and it is really cheap as well. I usually get up late and have a roti with banana or onions for breakfast and some naan or vegi-rice for lunch or dinner. I've started to eat only twice a day (with snacks in between of course) because it is a lot cheaper and I don't really need that much. I still feel hungry some times but I'm getting over it. That is really good for our budget but heaps of my pants don't fit me anymore.
We're spending our last days relaxing and shopping, I have no idea how that works together, and I'm still fighting my illness but don't worry, it doesn't feel like fever so no malaria. We might go and see a movie tonight or just have some Indian food but we have to go to bed early tonight to catch our flight at 9am and we have to be there at 7am and the bus to the airport takes 1.5 hours and leaves at 5.30am. I don't know why but I'm really looking forward to the flight. I think it's because we have spent so much time in small aircraft where we had to pay for our food separately and couldn't watch movies. Or I just like planes...

3 comments:

  1. Tim you said, that you learned some Indonesian tounge. Did you try to speak with the people there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim! You should think about becoming a travel journalist!
    I enjoy reading your journals very much! Keep telling your story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that you Jonas? Thank you very much for that comment, I'm glad you're enjoying our Blog. I was thinking of that job option as well, but I always have to force myself to write something...
    @Stella, we tried to speak Indonesian a lot in the beginning but the locals would be so glad to hear a traveller speak their language that they would start to talk to you really fast an from that point on we didn't understand a word... It was a bit frustrating but we can say some basic stuff:)

    ReplyDelete