Wednesday, October 5, 2011

In the meantime...

Hi folks, here we are again and I know that it has been a while and for sure too long since my last update but it is just so hard to find enough time between doing nothing and being lazy. And there isn't too much to write about.
Anyhow, almost one month has past since we set our foot into Australia again but our Indo-adventure seems much longer ago and further away than that. It is incredible how fast time goes by sometimes and how quickly memories fade away when you don't keep them close. I notice this every time I travel but what I also notice is that those memories are saved somewhere in our brains and that they come out again, when you meet the people you shared those times with.

We spent the first week in Sydney and now that I try to remember what we did back then it all seems very blurry and uncertain but I remember that it was freezing cold and that we wished ourselves back into warmer weather. We drove up to Palm Beach to say "Hi" to Beck's old boss and she offered Bekki to help her out over the weekend. We also met a guy from Avalon, he overheard us talking German in the supermarket and invited us to his place for dinner. He was a very interesting guy to talk to and we're still planning on playing a game of Skat one day, when we find someone else to play with.
All in all the week there wasn't very exiting, the weather was bad and I didn't have much to do, so I was glad when we eventually hit the road on a very early Sunday morning. We headed south, towards Bega, a small town in south NSW which is only known for its cheese and near which the Leser-Family lives. They have a funny history with us German travelers that can be traced back to Jonas S. and his school exchange. Bekki had met them last year and promised to come back to spend some more time down there.
It took us almost 8 hours to drive all the way with a lot of breaks (...oh, I do need to go to the toilet) and a continuously aging car but we were welcomed very warmly into their home. The Lesers are such a nice family and we had a really great time staying there. Mostly we enjoyed really relaxed mornings with yummy muesli and coffee while the kids where at school and had busy afternoons playing football, helping around the house and doing stuff.
We got a lot of planning done too. We managed to book a flight to L.A. with a 10 day Stopover on Fiji, which is very exiting, we planned a trip to Melbourne and we got started on the big Project of selling our car...
I had a really great surf at Merimbula, not far from Frogs Hollow, which is a beautiful spot with nearly perfect and very long lefts, peeling down over a sandbar. It was small when we were out but still fun to ride and we had a good time.
On Thursday the 22nd we took a night bus down to Melbourne (from 11pm to 8:45am) to visit Till's and Jonas' friend Belinda. It turned out to be a bad decision to go on the night bus because I can't sleep on travels (have I already mentioned that...?) which meant I had another 40 hour day. Melbourne was great though. Because we arrived early we had a look for a nice cafe to get our morning coffee and we found a great place in a side street full of colorful painted walls with street art. It was a matching first impression to what we discovered the next days. After this first day in the city and with some thoughts about buying a PSP or not I ended up with a new pair of cool shorts instead.
We were happy to come to Belinda's place in Coburg in the afternoon, she picked us up from the train station and after a short unplanned stop, the tire went flat, we arrived at her house and were very thankful for a hot cup of tea and a soft bed.
We couldn't stop praising the well organized public transport in Melbourne, every suburb is well connected to the CBD through trams and trains and it is heaven compared to what you find in Sydney.
Over the weekend Belinda showed us some of the cool places around the city. We had a wonderful lunch in Brunswick which is a more alternative part of the town with lots of unique little shops and cafes, a bit like the Schanzenviertel in Hamburg. There was a small local art market with heaps of cool stuff like self printed T-shirts, cards and, best of all, a stand selling little cacti (Hahaha, how cool is the plural of cactus). The next day we had great breakfast at the Queen Victoria Market, a huge market with heaps of stuff, from food over any form of fabric and clothes to souvenirs.
We really enjoyed our stay in Melbourne and had a great time with Belinda, she is such a cool personality, and I'm definitely going back, even if it is only to surf Bells.
To avoid the hassle of another unslept night we took the train/bus link back to Bega where we spent a few more days before we drove back to Sydney. I had another surf at Merimbula bar which ended badly for my board which broke its nose. That was particularly annoying when you consider, that the board was just recently fixed and that this will cost me another 50-100$.
We took the long trip to Sydney in two stages with an overnight stop somewhere south of Wollongong. I wanted to go for a surf in Bulli where there is another world class wave but the swell came out of the wrong direction and it was far to windy so we kept driving. The road along the coast is really beautiful with great views from rocky cliffs and it was a nice, sunny day (you don't feel the wind in the car) and we did enjoy that part of the trip.
Sydney greeted us with great blue skys and quite warm temperatures. We had a good time being away but it still feels good every time I come back here.

I am very sorry for the lack of pictures, my laziness was absolute, but in a few years it is anyway going to be me who hates me for not taking any...

2 comments:

  1. Hey Tim, nice to hear from you again here. And you are right about the photos :-)
    I am looking forward to checking out Melbourne myself when I get back.
    Jonas Stegemann was here last night - funny sense of symbiosis - just reading about him and the Lesers (are they really readers?).
    Have a safe trip up to the farm.

    Love, Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bro, its so nice to hear all the names of those places, I think I have been to every single one you named in your post myself...wish I could be there with you. Cool that you met up with Belinda, she is the most awesome person. Did you see her 9'10 custom-shaped Wegener? Man, I loved that plank!

    Hang loose,
    T

    ReplyDelete