Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Don't leave yet...

I was alone. I wasn't quite sure how it would be without Bekki, one part of me was sad to see her go but another part liked the thought of traveling all by myself. The goodbye at the airport was very quick and after I got home I fell into a hole of loneliness, Bekki was gone, everyone else was at work and I didn't have anything to do. It only took me one day to get over it though and I felt good when I got up the next day. I went to the botanical garden with Tommy where we spent most of the day walking through the flora of different regions of the world and were shadowed by two squirrels for almost 30 minutes. The best part of the gardens was the one where they had all the prehistoric plants and I learned a lot about the evolution of plants that I didn't know before. On the way back we passed a liquor store where Tommy introduced me to some of the local beers that are brewed in micro breweries all over SF.
I had to say goodbye to those very good people because I had found a ride on Craigslist to take me back to LA on Thursday and so I left early in the morning to meet my ride in Ashby which was about one hour away. I took the BART with all my stuff on my back and arrived there just in time when she texted me that she would be about an hour late. A little bit pissed I had a look around for a supermarket, I hadn't had breakfast yet, where I bought a French baguette and some Swiss cheese. I sat down in front of the train station, ate my brunch and waited for my ride but she didn't come. After almost two hours of waiting I got a short text saying that she couldn't drive that day and that she is terribly sorry... well at least she was sorry but she had still made this day one of the worst days for me in the US.
Tired and disappointed I got back on the BART to Randolph street where I found some comfort and had another good night. Looking back it was actually good that I spent another night there because I really liked them and if I could go back in time I would have stayed there even longer ( they offered me a room in the basement and said  should stay for the next year). I had such a good time there, especially the evenings when we all sat together and recorded music.
Tommy, the guy who lived in the basement was moving to New York the day I left and I was invited to come along to his farewell breakfast. We were a big group with Tommy, Mandy, Paul, Brian, Burd, Chris and Eric and we all shared a small table in a small restaurant but it was nice and great for me to be a part of it.
After that we all said goodbye, Tommy was leaving and I had found another ride to LA. It was a sad moment but I am very happy that I met them and could stay at their place for that long. Those people definitely get on my "good friends" list who I want to visit again.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Tim, thanks for the blog entry. It sounds like travelling has taken on a new dimension since you have been alone. Hardships are all part of the adventure - but you know that by now from your own experience.
    By the way, it was FLORA (plants) you were wandering around and not FAUNA (animals) in the botanical gardens :-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops... i was thinking so hard about which one it was that I got it wrong.

    ReplyDelete